Team Glenelg Pennant Results

View the reports from our Team Managers by scrolling down or clicking the team below.

Simpson Cup Round 7 at Glenelg

Glenelg 2 ½ lost to Royal Adelaide 4 ½

  1. Kade Bryant def Harry Coote 2 up
  2. Harry Burner halved with Billy Cawthorne
  3. Zac Bray halved with Alex Pacifico
  4. Michael Munn lost to Matt Lawson 4/3
  5. Josh Hayes halved with Henry Perks
  6. Jack Leonard lost to Jonathon Cherry 4/3
  7. Nick Wake lost to Nathan Kent 3/1

(Note – matches were played over 16 holes.  This report will refer to the holes as they are laid out i.e. 1, 2, 3, 19 etc and excluding 15-17.)

Obviously this was a disappointment to lose our home match.  Royal Adelaide came into the match in 5th position on the ladder with no realistic chance of making it to the finals.  Perhaps that allowed them to play with a bit more freedom.  At the half way stage the match was delicately poised where we were up in 3 matches and square in two and perhaps with the home ground knowledge we might pull away on the back eight.  However, it was not to be and they were too good for us on the day.

The first two matches were very tight on the front eight with Nick Wake square and Jack Leonard just one down.  However on the back eight their opponents pulled away to take the wins.  Josh Hayes got off to a great start to be 3 up at the turn but his opponent fought back and Josh found himself one down after the 13th with only two holes today.  He won the 14th to go down the 18th square but an errant drive meant he had to lay up whilst his opponent was on the green for 2.  Josh hit the shot of the day with his third leaving just a short putt for birdie.  Meanwhile his opponent missed his birdie putt and the match was halved.

At no. 4 Michael Munn had a battle on his hands against Matt Lawson.  He quickly found himself 3 down after 4 holes then 3 down at the turn.  He was not able to make any inroads on the back eight with the match finishing on the 12th.  At no. 3 Zac Bray was in a close match against Alex Pacifico and there was never more than one hole in it all day.  They came to the last all square where Zac hit a great drive while Alex hit the trees on the right adjacent to the water.  Alex missed the green way right but chipped safely onto the green.  Zac hit what looked like a good second but it hit a downslope on the green and the ball went off the back of the green.  He was unable to get up and down and the hole was halved in fives.  This meant that the overall match was now over with only the margin to be decided.

Harry Burner held sway early against Billy Cawthorne to be 2 up at the turn.  It was back to square after 12 but a tap in birdie on 13 saw Harry take the lead back.  14 was halved and they went down 18 with Harry one up.  Both hit good drives and were on the green in two but with lengthy eagle putts.  Billy just missed his eagle and his birdie putt was conceded.  Harry’s eagle putt came up short and his birdie putt just missed thus halving his match.

So at this stage we were yet to record a win for the day!  Fortunately we still had Kade Bryant to come who was involved in a high quality match with Harry Coote.  Kade got out to 2 up thru 5 holes but Harry got back to square after the 11th.  Kade won 12 with a birdie to go one up and the next two holes were halved so Kade took a 1 hole lead to the 18th tee.  Both hit good tee shots but Harry found the right bunker whilst Kade reached the green but with a tricky putt over the mound for eagle.  Harrys bunker shot was ok but not close. Kades putt rolled a few feet past and when Harry missed his birdie he conceded the hold to Kade for a 2 up win.

Thanks to all the caddies and supporters particularly our new captain Paul Grosvenor and new life members Helen McMutrie and Chris Whitford.

So the wash up is that we finished second on the ladder at the end of the minor round.  Next week our semi-final will be against Kooyonga at Kooyonga from 12.10 pm.  Bring it on!

Steve Weeks

Well done to the girls winning the day, 4 matches to 1 against Southern at GGC. 

A big welcome to Jill McDonald who stepped up to play her first Sanderson Cup match. Jill fought hard all day, but unfortunately just lost her match. Thanks so much Jill for playing.

Bec Hughes again showed her true colours and won her match 5/4 in a commanding display.

Maiya Jakupec won her match again. Steady golf wins in the end and Maiya had very few bad shots. 

Jill Hodge blitzed her match, winning 8/7 in an impressive style, far outclassing her opponent.

Christine Trimmer hung on to a win on the last hole to win 1 up. Such a great effort against a very strong player.

The girls will be playing in the Semifinal at Kooyonga at 11.15 on the 10th tee this Sunday and would appreciate some GGC support if anyone would like to come to see some great golf.

The team welcomes back Zoe Manton this week, who missed last Sunday with Covid.

These girls are a delightful group and have the skills to win the Cup as evidenced in their first match beating last year’s premiers.

Fingers crossed for the semi final. Go GGC.

Ruth Martin
Sanderson Cup Manager

Pike Cup Round 5 @ 30/6/24 at Royal Adelaide Golf Club

Sam White lost to Christine Hildyard 2/1

Louise Pike defeated Lane Trenorden 3/2

Wendy Featherston defeated Maddie Fitzpatrick 2/1

Tonia Ross lost to Mia Luey 4/3

Grace Ferrier defeated Jill Trenorden 2/1

The Pike team had a solid victory against Kooyonga consolidating second position on the ladder.

Playing at number 5 Grace Ferrier was either square or 1 down for most of the day. She birdied 15 to get back to square and then proceeded to win the next 2 holes with solid pars to win 2/1. Great effort Grace.

Tonia Ross having her first Pike Cup match had a very tough opponent. Tonia hit the ball well but was unfortunately beaten by a young girl whose short game on the day was exceptional. Thanks for playing for the Pike team Tonia.

The ever reliable Wendy Featherston again played solid golf. Wendy was up for most of the day and finished well to win 2/1. Great work Wendy.

Louise Pike stepping up to the number 2 position played her usual reliable steady golf. She was too consistent for her Kooyonga opponent. Lou almost had a hole in one on the par 3 seventh, and then finished the match on the 16th by knocking her tee shot to 1.5m for a solid 3/2 victory.

Sam White playing in the number 1 position had a battle on her hands from the beginning. Sam was 4 down through 10 but in her usual fashion fought hard to get back to unfortunately lose 2/1. Great fight back Sam.

Many thanks again to our wonderful caddies Hannah Brown, Nick Eblen, Brian Featherston, Anne Hooper and John Ferrier

We now play Kooyonga again at Flagstaff Hill next Sunday 7th July teeing off the 10th hole at 12:10 in the semi final.

Good luck girls

Fiona Eblen
Pike Cup Manager

Glenelg v TTG at Royal Adelaide

Result Glenelg win 5 ½ to 1 ½ 

Our final hit out before the finals at the great Royal Adelaide Golf Club – a welcome relief from season openers in the Hills.

We were greeted with a cold but thankfully fine winter’s day.

First off at No 7 was Anthony Wang who played extremely well to go out to a 5 hole lead after 10 and went on to win at the 16th 4/3.

Next at No 6 Matt Jacquier was eager to follow Anthony’s lead and despatched his opponent in similar fashion and also won 4/3

Max Jericho found himself in a real battle with his errant driver and was 3 down at the turn but with his caddie (Keith Barnard) corrected the driver problem and displayed some ‘ticker’ to fight back and eventually prevailed 2 up.

Harry Edwards in contrast to last weeks effort started slowly but quickly found some form and played well after the 3rd to record a 4 and 2 victory.

David Brand came out firing on all cylinders after his ‘vacation’ north to Brisbane last week and over powered his opponent in a commanding display to win 6 to 5.

Ben Winton at No 2 was fighting a cold and whilst he played well to the 10th, lost 3 holes in a row to some brilliant play from his opponent eventually coming up short 4 and 2 to record his only loss in 2 yrs. Next week Benny!

Mick Philips played another high quality game at No 1 and led for the most part but the final hole curse prevailed and he had to settle for a well earned half. 

We ended the season in top spot and this match was a great hit out in our lead up to the semi finals at North Adelaide where we will take on a Simpson Cup laden Royal Adelaide team. Unfortunately we will be without our reliable No 1 Mick Phillips but this opens up a fabulous opportunity for one of our younger juniors to step up against a quality opposition.

Thanks as always to our wonderful caddies, Glenn Sterrey, Dave Rosie, Keith Barnard, Steve Jacquier, Alex Manton, Leanne Edwards (who provided some magnificent sausage rolls and pasties for the manager (double for Tony this week as Andrew was sadly missing with COVID) and a few loyal supporters who are also very much appreciated.

Bring on North Adelaide and RA – can’t wait!

Tony Martin & Andrew Hodge 
Bonnar Cup Team Managers

Sharp Cup Team Round 5 – Geleng vs Royal Adelaide at Willunga GC 30/06/2024

Kyle Feltus – 5/3
Indie Danger – 6/5 
Johnny Peers – 3/2 (down)
Jayneil Rudrappagari – 2 (down)
Cooper Lessue –  2 (down)

The Sharp cup team had their Fifth round at Willunga GC. The team suffered their first defeat of the season in a match marked by challenging weather and strong opponents from Royal Adelaide. 

The day began with cold temperatures and occasional rain showers, making it difficult for players to maintain focus and grip. Despite the challenging conditions, the team started strong, 

Kyle and Indie won their round by a comfortable margin. However, for Johnny, Jayneil and Copper it proved to be a tougher battle. The opposition came out really strong, pushing our players to their limits. While these games didn’t go our way, the team displayed commendable resilience, managing to keep things close. Jayneil and Cooper through sheer determination, they were able to push the competition all the way to the 18th hole, showcasing their fighting spirit despite the adverse conditions.

Special thanks to Campbell (reserve), who decided to stay back and caddied for Indie and also supported the team for the entire round. 

This first loss serves as a valuable learning experience for the team. They’ll undoubtedly use this to analyze their performance and come back stronger in their next semi final match at Grange on 07/07. 

This week we played the top ranking team, Royal Adelaide, at a very cold and wet Willunga, resulting in a tough day of golfing for all.

Once again the team fought hard to try and pick off their opponents in quite a few close games, however we didn’t quite get over the line going down 4&1.

Levi Ashton played in the number 1 spot versing Angus Norcock. He kept his good form going leading from the outset. Levi managed to retain his lead all day winning his match up 4&2.

Jayden McGrath played in the number 2 spot against Fred Haylock. It was an up and down match with them being neck and neck all day. After a hard battle Fred got the up side and Jayden ended up going down in a close game 2&1.

Adele Wang played George Longbottom in the number 4 spot who was a tough opponent to beat as George was playing well, making multiple pars and birdies in the first 9 holes. Adele played her heart out however could not get the upper hand in the end going down 7&5.

Gareth Thien was our captain for the day and played against Alston Ma. With Alston’s short game on point he pulled away after 9 holes to lead 4 up. Gareth continued the battle valiantly however could not get the deficit down, and with holes running out, eventually went down 6&4.

Ben Yin was our number 5 this week playing against Freddie White. Ben got off to a fantastic start leading 4 up through the first 5 holes.  He was playing well and held his lead to 2 up with 3 to play. Freddie finished strong, winning the last 3 holes consecutively in a nail biter to snach the win from Ben by 1 on the 18th hole.  

We have finished 6th on the leader board for the season. Whilst we may not have made the finals this year, we are up 2 spots from last year and I have no doubt from watching our juniors that we will be even higher on the leaderboard next year. 

I would like to thank all the players, caddies and parents for the absolutely fantastic job you all do each week getting to venues on time, attending trainings and for the way you have all conducted yourselves on and off the courses through out the season.  

I have enjoyed the opportunity to be the team manager this year and look forward to seeing you all out there next year.

Jason Stone 
Div 2 manager 

On Monday, the team competed against Mt Osmond in the A3 semifinal at Royal Adelaide.

As expected, it was a closely contested battle, but unfortunately, we were unable to overcome a determined and strong opposition.

The team ended up losing three matches to two, with the following results:

  • Tonia Ross lost 5/3
  • Jo Rawson lost 2 down
  • Jo Ricourt won 4/3
  • Fiona Eblen won 3/1
  • Wendy Vaughan lost 3/1

Jo Ricourt was the first to finish and played exceptional golf to defeat her opponent, who had been undefeated the entire season. A remarkable achievement, Jo!

Wendy Vaughan fought valiantly, coming back from being 4-down after 12 holes to 2-down after 15. A missed opportunity on the 16th, and strong play from her opponent on the 17th saw Wendy ultimately lose her match.

Fiona continued her strong form and secured our second win, taking the team score to 2-1. However, the score was soon tied again when Tonia fell to a very strong opponent on the 15th hole.

With the score at 2 matches each, the pressure was on Jo Rawson to secure the victory for Glenelg. Despite being 3-down after the 15th, Jo fought back with determination. A fantastic pitch shot into the hole on the 16th brought her deficit to 2-down. Her opponent encountered bunker trouble on the 17th, narrowing the gap to just 1-down as they headed to the 18th hole.

Unfortunately, an errant drive put Jo out of position, and precise play from her opponent ended the match just short of an extension. Nonetheless, Jo’s effort was commendable in what has been a successful season for the team.

Thank you again to the caddies who do a great job supporting the players – Anne Hooper, Juliet Culley, Jill Gehling, Lou Pike and Oscar Vaughan.  It was also great to see many Glenelg supporters out there.

Managing the team this season has been an absolute pleasure, with the assistance of Sue Tuohy and coaching by Ryan Reavley. We look forward to 2025!

Anna Standish

Cleek Semi final report – May 1st

The Cleek girls played The Grange at Royal Adelaide knowing that it was going to be a tough match following a drawn match with them in an early round.

Jo McCarthy at number 5 launched into her winning stride from the very start and could do no wrong. She concluded her match with a fabulous 6/4 win.

Sue Siebel (number 4) struggled a bit on the front 9 and her opponent found herself 3 up after 6 holes. To her great credit, Sue fought back and claimed a win on the 18th hole (1up).

Sally Sechser at number 3 unfortunately came up against a strong opponent in great form and though Sally played good steady golf, she was unable to peg back her opponent. Despite this loss, Sally has had a great season playing Cleek this year.

Cathie Molloy (number 2) had a very close match going 2 down early on but she then settled into her game and won her match on the 18th.

Frances Macpherson at 1 remained at square for most of her round but fine play and persistence paid off. She found herself 2 up with 2 to play when her match was abandoned.

Glenelg defeated Grange 3½  to 1½  but the match was always in doubt right to the very end.

Congratulations to all players on a fantastic effort today and thanks to our loyal caddies and other Glenelg supporters.

Next Monday we take on Westward Ho at West Lakes in the Final.

Annette and Cheryl