90th Birthday Celebration

Glenelg Golf Club’s 90th birthday celebration is fast approaching on Saturday 3rd June, so it’s time to select your partner for a night of dancing, live music and dinner! Tickets are selling fast, but there’s still a limited number of bookings available.

On the night, drift into the ’GG Club’ to spin around the dance floor, listen to Jacqui Yeo, and check out our swingin’ DJ in the ‘Blind Tiger Lounge’.

DJ Richard Rowland, from those dark, seedy lounges of Chicago, will be spinnin’ swingin’ speak easy tunes! The open doors will see you struttin’ to all areas!

History records the opening night of the Clubhouse in 1927 as a ball with enthusiasts dancing the hours away… let’s record our own bit of history with a night to rival 1927!

90th Birthday Celebration Information

Cost: $80pp
Date: Saturday, 3rd June 2017
Time: 7pm until late
Dinner: 2 course buffet served in the ‘GG Club’ & ‘Blind Tiger Lounge’
Drinks: Your choice at your own expense
Dress: 1920’s themed dress if you wish (leave your coat at the hat check on arrival)
Location: Glenelg Golf Club, James Melrose Rd Novar Gardens

Individual, small group or table bookings accepted

‘Speak Easy’ – Wikipedia: A speakeasy, also called a blind pig or blind tiger, is an illicit establishment that sells alcoholic beverages. Such establishments came into prominence in the US during the Prohibition era 1920-1933.

Bookings available online only through Eventbrite. Click here to book.

Featuring swing band “Swingin Out” fronted by Adelaide’s one and only Jacqui Yeo

During the autumn and winter of 1926 a number of Glenelg business men – a group of relations and friends – in search of quietude and relaxation, conceived the happy idea of making regular Sunday morning sojourns in the waste country a mile or so north-east of the outskirts of Glenelg, taking with them a variegated assortment of golf clubs.

Except for one of their number (Mr. Sydney Jackman, afterwards the Club’s first Captain), none of them had ever played golf, but it was not long before every member of the group was stricken – the golf germ is insidious and easily communicable – and by and by they carved a few rough holes in suitably disposed grassy patches upon what is now the south-western part of the links. Soon the excitement of merely hitting the ball at all, or propelling it seemingly vast distances, was exchanged for the age old thrill of a “screaming” drive, a “sound” approach (or two not so sound) and “the regulation” two putts.

The cold winter and rains of 1926 gave way to the warmth and grass of spring. The natural couch grass “links” among the sandhills became a verdant greensward, and the next step in the progress towards the birth of Glenelg Golf Club was natural and easy – the players (by now considerably reinforced) began to speak of acquiring the property and forming a Club.

In September 1926, eight of them (who afterwards became the first Directors) held an informal meeting and decided to approach the Glenbank Syndicate – which had a short time before purchased the land, with other land in the neighbourhood, from the trustees of the late William Henry Gray (one of the pioneers of the State, who in the 1840’s had taken up a large area to the north and north east of Glenelg).

The eight founders were Messrs. Samuel T. Percival (Chairman), E. W. Percival, Arthur, James and Sydney Jackman, H. T. Hoeper, J. P. Kenny and W. C. Wood.  Mr. W. H. Jeanes (future Secretary of the SA Cricket Association) was appointed Secretary and Mr. F. G. Hicks solicitor.

On 22nd September 1926, an agreement to purchase the desired area (comprising 174 acres) was entered into, and on the same day a prospectus was issued with a view to the incorporation of “Glenelg Golf Links Limited.” On 27th October 1926, the Company was incorporated and took over the property.

During the summer of 1926-7 a deep bore was sunk, a commodious clubhouse was erected on the highest point of the links, the work of reticulation and planting proceeded apace, and drains were scooped to prevent possibility of flooding. At this time, His Excellency Sir Tom Bridges (then Governor of South Australia), became a regular and interested Sunday morning visitor, as it was his habit to ride from Henley Beach Road to and over the links.

The bore was a success, yielding a copious and limitless supply of nearly pure water, and 9 holes were ready for play at the end of summer.  It is interesting to record that the gravel bed from which the water is obtained was once, millions of years ago, the bed of the River Torrens, and also, that the scooping operations for the foundations of the clubhouse revealed sawn timber piles – obviously the foundations of a building – at least 70 or 80 years old.

On 23rd February 1927, Glenelg Golf Club was formed, its members consisting of shareholders in the Company and also annually subscribing members, and took from the Company, a lease of the links (the leased portion comprising only the links proper – an area of 124 acres). Mr. A. J. Roberts, then President of the SA Tennis Association, was elected first President, and Mr. Sydney Jackman and Mr. F. G. Hicks respectively first Captain and Vice-Captain.

The Glenelg Golf Links was officially opened on 21st May 1927 by His Excellency the Governor of South Australia, Lt General Sir Tom Bridges KCB, KCMG, DSO.

The Glenelg Golf Links was officially opened on 21st May 1927 by His Excellency the Governor of South Australia, Lt General Sir Tom Bridges KCB, KCMG, DSO. At 3:00 p.m, His Excellency the Governor of South Australia, drove a ball off the first tee as part of the opening ceremony. The ball was eagerly pounced upon and the ball was mounted and is still treasured as a Club artifact.

A four-ball exhibition match was played by four outstanding golfers – Leigh Winser and Tom Cheadle versus Rufus Stewart and Willie Harvey. Perhaps as befitted the occasion, the match ended in a tie. Leigh Winser filled the position of Secretary of the Royal Adelaide Golf Club and also to State Governors. He was a first-class golfer, beating his age off the stick on many occasions. He continued to do this in retirement at Barwon Heads (Victoria) when well into his nineties. Rufus Stewart was an outstanding professional at Kooyonga despite his gnarled hands sadly twisted by arthritis. Willie Harvey, or ‘Wullie’ as he was normally known, was the professional for Royal Adelaide Golf Club at Seaton, and a popular identity.  His ability at playing the Scottish bagpipes with unbridled enthusiasm must have lowered the house rents in his neighborhood.

The Opening Day was wound up at night with a Ball in the Clubhouse. Over 100 enthusiasts danced the hours away at the inaugural festivity; bridge tables were provided for non-dancers. The decorations were superb, admired by everybody.  A string of coloured lights glamorised the outline of the Clubhouse and rows of electric lights lined the pathway through an avenue of trees to the verandah where the President (Mr A.J. Roberts) and Mrs Roberts received the guests. The ballroom was decorated with silver gum and balloons bubbling among festoons of gold and black streamers, the official Club colours.

Clubhouse Gallery

Tags:  , ,